Monday, September 7, 2009

Satire.

1: Oh dear. I've got some bad news. The building is on fire.

2: Really? On fire? Where's your evidence?

1: Over there, where you can see that flame, that's a bit of the fire.

2: Oh, that's probably just natural burnoff. Part of the natural cycle. At any given time some bit of the building is always on fire. I read that somewhere.

1: No, I think it's caused by the gas heater you left on.

2: Good luck proving that one. Mate.

1: Well, the fact remains that the building is on fire. What should we do?

2: Well, I don't accept that the building is on fire.

1: Well, I've done a poll and 80% of the people in the building think it is on fire and it is caused by you leaving the gas heater on.

2: Fine. I'll deal with it.

1: Great...

...

...

1: Umm, what are you doing?

2: I'm dealing with the situation.

1: How? The building is more on fire than ever.

2: Well, I just sent an email telling everyone that the building is NOT on fire. That should fix those polling numbers.

1: Hmmm. I don't think you understand. This isn't a public perception issue.

2: Everything is a public perception issue.

1: Except this.

2: Fine. Fine. What do you propose we do?

1: Well, we could switch off the heater for a start...

2: That's crazy. You can't just switch it off. people will get cold. I tell you what I'll do, I'll catch all the flame in bags. That way it won't be able to hurt anyone.

1: Catch the flame in bags. Right. What kind of bag could possibly catch a flame?

2: I'll work on that. See if we can't come up with a special sort of fireproof bag we can stash all this fire in.

1: This is stupid. That will take ages. I'm leaving.

2: leaving the building?

1: Yes.

2: You can't do that!

1: Why not?

2: Well, because then the metaphor breaks down.

1: Fine, i'll just sit here and play with this polar bear.

2: You do that. I really think I'm getting somewhere with this bag idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment